Smart Guard Protection is a computer virus, which mimics a security product, then performs a fake scan of your computer, and falsely claims that a number of files on your computer are infected with malware. Should you request that it clean the reported infections, it advises you that you need to pay money to register Smart Guard Protection in order for it to do so.
Smart Guard Protection is promoted through Trojans that pretend to be programs necessary to view online videos. You can also become infected by this software when visiting web sites that have been hacked with exploit kits. These exploit kits attempt to take advantage of vulnerabilities found on your computer that allow the program to be installed without your permission or knowledge.
Upon installation, Smart Guard Protection prevents you from launching any application by stopping its process and displaying a message that falsely claims that the process is infected. It continues to monitor all running processes, and will stop any new process as it is launched. Upon doing so, it displays a message such as the following:
Warning! Infected file detected
Location: File System
Suspicious activity detected in the application notepad.exe to the behavior of the virus Win32/Conficker.X. For your security and to avoid loss of data, the operation of application cmd.exe has been temporarily restricted.
While Smart Guard Protection virus is running it will also display a variety of fake security alerts that are designed to make you think your computer has a serious virus problem. Some of the messages you may see include:
Warning! Infected file detected.
We strongly recommend activating full edition of your antivirus software for repairing threats.
Warning! Network attack attempt detected.
To keep the computer safe, the threat must be blocked.
As you can see, this computer infection was created to trick you into thinking your computer has a security problem so that you will then purchase it. Please do not purchase this program , and if you already have, please contact your credit card company and dispute the charges stating that the program is a computer infection and a scam. To remove Smart Guard Protection and related malware please use the guide below.
Registration key for Smart Guard Protection virus
You can use any of the following license keys to register Smart Guard Protection and stop the fake alerts.
Smart Guard Protection Activation Code AA39754E-715219CE
How to remove Smart Guard Protection virus (Removal Guide)
STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- To get your PC into Safe Mode with Networking, restart your computer and while the computer is booting press and hold the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.
With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the F8 key, tap the F8 key continuously until you get the start-up menu.
- The Windows Advanced Options Menu screen will now be displayed, and you’ll need to use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking, and then press the ENTER key.
STEP 2: Terminate Smart Guard Protection malicious processes with RKill
RKILL is a program that will attempt to terminate any malicious processes associated with Smart Guard Protection, so that we will be able to perform the next step without being interrupted by this malicious software.
- While your computer is in Safe Mode with Networking, download RKILL from the below link.
RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RKill renamed as iExplore.exe)
- Once it is downloaded, double-click on the iExplore.exe icon in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Smart Guard Protection.
- RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while the program looks for the Smart Guard Protection virus and tries to stop it’s malicious process.
- When Rkill has completed its task, it will generate a log. Only then you can proceed with the rest of the guide.
Note: Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the Smart Guard Protection malware process will start again , preventing you from properly performing the next step.
STEP 3: Remove Smart Guard Protection malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
To remove the Smart Guard Protection malicious files we will use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, a powerful on-demand scanner which can detect and remove this infection.
- Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- After you have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, double click on mbam-setup.exe file to start the installation process, and then follow the prompts to install this product.
- On the Scanner tab, make sure the Perform quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Smart Guard Protection related files.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for Smart Guard Protection malicious files as shown below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has found on your computer.
Make sure all the infected objects are Checked (Ticked) for removal and then click on the Remove Selected button to remove them.
- When your computer will start in Windows regular mode, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats.
STEP 4: Remove Smart Guard Protection rooktit with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a cloud on-demand scanner, that uploads unknown files to the a scan sloud where are analyzed using the anti-virus programs of 5 different vendors (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, G-Data, IKARUS and Dr. Web).
- You can download the latest official version of HitmanPro from the below link.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double click on the HitmanPro.exe file to start the HitmanPro and then follow the prompts to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your system for malicious files. Depending on the the size of your hard drive, and the performance of your computer, this step will take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the scan is complete,a screen displaying all the malicious files that the program has found will be shown as seen in the image below.After reviewing each malicious object click Next.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove the malicious files.
- HitmanPro will now start removing the infected objects, and in some instances, may suggest a reboot in order to completely remove the malware from your system. In this scenario, always confirm the reboot action to be on the safe side.
Your computer should now be free of the Smart Guard Protection virus. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.